The rubble of the bridge that collapsed on March 15,
2018 in Miami
The authorities no longer had hope Friday to find survivors
in the wake of the collapse of an unfinished bridge on a
six-lane road in Miami, which killed at least six people.
“Last night, we went from a search and rescue mission to a
recovery operation and investigation,” said Maurice Kemp,
deputy mayor of the city of Sweetwater, at a press conference
Friday morning .
The span was laid on Saturday, but the 950-ton structure was
to open to the public in 2019 to link the International
University of Florida (FIU) to the buildings where students
live. One end is in Miami and the other in Sweetwater.
“There are no more survivors,” Florida Fire Chief Dave
Downey said, while Miami-Dade County Police Director Juan Perez
said the authorities “expect to find other people “in vehicles
stuck under the rubble.
That’s why no new balance sheet is given Friday morning,
Perez said. The last reported six deaths and ten
The only thing communicated is that a student from FIU is
one of the deceased victims, but no other details were
At least eight cars were trapped, firefighters said
Thursday. A crane was dispatched to clear the road and a
hundred firefighters, including canine brigades, were
Federal Transportation Safety Agency (TSNB) boss Robert
Sumwalt said a team of 15 investigators was at the accident
site, and is expected to stay for five to seven days.
“It will be a very thorough
investigation,” he said, adding that it is to determine the
cause of the accident and make recommendations to prevent such
a tragedy from happening again. “But this is in no way related
to possible charges,” he said.
In this regard, Mr. Perez explained that a homicide
investigation had been opened “because people have died but
that does not mean that there will be criminal charges”.